NO FLY. THE WAITING GAME CONTINUES

DAY 3: PRE-EXPEDITION.



The mental challenge intensifies as we are informed of another no-fly day.

Despite our best efforts, conjuring positive thoughts and remaining optimistic for a change in the weather projection, our pilot issued us with the decision; it’s still too unsafe to ferry us to the expedition start point in his helicopter.

Naturally, the initial response is frustration. Frustration at the thought of wind that is being under-utilised by our kites, frustration that we are unable to start making mileage toward our ultimate goal and frustration knowing that each day we spend in waiting is another day away from our loved friends and family at home.

The only way to combat these frustrations is by becoming a student of patience – a lost art form in the fast-paced world we belong to. There is however, some consolation that can be sought, knowing that with each day we are held at bay, we gain strength as well as a greater sense of drive from the anticipation of commencing our journey.

In lieu of our delay, we took a few moments before leaving the aircraft hanger to review and practice various knots and safety systems that we would use when arriving on the plateau to avoid the treachery of crevassed ice.

We also managed to procure a couple of bicycles and decided to explore our surrounds by riding the weathered, stone streets of Narsarsuaq to the foot of the glacier. A little extra exploration and fresh air was a welcome reprieve from the continual web of logistics that the past few days have brought us. The ancient walls of rock and ice stood as colossal wonders before our eyes – a true marvel of creation.

Weather looking like it won’t ease up until Sunday afternoon. Expecting to start making some headway then.

Latest posts